As a family-fueled co-operative, CNS represents a wonderful opportunity for involvement in your child’s first school experience. It is also a serious commitment of time and energy. The co-op needs families eager to share their whole selves. Families are not only the administrators of the school, they are also the most important resources for the teachers. The teachers depends on co-op members to share their personal experiences and resources to create a curriculum that reflects each year’s particular group.
The co-op works best when each member strives to share what they can with a genuine spirit of teamwork and appreciation of what others have to offer. Many factors influence a family’s ability to contribute to and participate in the school; families often exceed the minimum requirements for membership. In choosing this type of co-op over another type of traditional nursery school, you are choosing more than a method of saving money – you are choosing to proactively participate in the functioning of the school with other families to make our children’s preschool experience as positive at possible.
Each family is required to:
- Work in the classroom as a Classroom Helper 2-3 mornings each month for the duration of the school year.
- Attend monthly family meetings.
- Participate in fundraising activities.
- Serve on a working committee or as an executive board member.
In addition to the necessary commitments, consider the following:
- A willingness to bring some of your own ideas and personality to the group as a whole.
- An ability and eagerness to associate and work with other families and be an active participant in the school’s decision making process.
- A willingness to be accessible to the teachers and bring your unique experiences, talents and skills to the classroom. The more you’re willing to give of yourself, the richer the classroom experience will be for the children. Books, music, movement, and craft ideas are always helpful.